The port of Capbreton
The town of 100 Captains
Before 1578, when the course of the River Adour was definitively routed towards the city of Bayonne, Capbreton was known as the City of 100 captains, and had 8000 inhabitants in the 14th century.
The first works on the port took place during the Second Empire : the “Estacade” (wooden jetty), built under Napoleon III, a veritable emblem of the town, and also the first quays.
A scouring basin was created from Hossegor Lake. Once canalised, it allowed the natural coastal opening of Capbreton to be maintained. Its width today is much smaller than it was in the past.
The original fishing port became a marina through the direction of the Interministerial mission for the development of the Aquitaine Coast (MIACA).
Between 1973 and 1991, the five current basins were gradually built: Pompidou, Pecherie, Bonamour, Les Corsaires and Le Bourret, which brought the port to its current capacity of 1000 berths.
The old dream of bringing the town back to its former maritime vocation has always interested successive governments, as well as the local population, which is extremely proud of its past.